Monday, January 20, 2014

Berlin 201314

meeep582-5994b2kl

At Humboldt University

Berlin for New Year’s was very short and a bit of everything, emotionally, as well as in terms of sight-seeing. Don’t know, I don’t like Berlin for this Hipster thing that everyone seems to be so crazy about. I like the history and how there is still a bit of that cold war atmosphere thing noticeable, the architecture, the contemporary political Berlin, the museums. I’m tired of that snobbism (we’re hip and cool and alternative), that many of those people who seem to identify with a certain Berlin lifestyle, often share. I don’t feel particularly comfortable and safe there, to be honest, even after having lived in a city with a very high crime rate like Brussels. And to be precise I was attacked by stupid teenagers throwing fireworks. On a more harmless side, we had a terrible service in more than just one cafe (seriously, 45 mins for a coffee when you’re sitting at the bar, right opposite to the coffee machine…), and I now know where that “Germans don’t know how to queue” thing comes from. And the lady at my hotel made me walk to the next ATM and get cash when I was about to check out, even though the website listed card payments as an option (+ room smelled of cigarettes though non-smokers were “preferred” and she called me 5 minutes BEFORE my check-out time to see if I was really going to check out in time. But, yeah, booking just 6 weeks in advance for New Year’s probably does not allow for more…). On a more personal note I had a wonderful time with a very good friend, a nice afternoon with two other friends and a less great time with a bunch of more people. Gosh, I don’t want to be all complaining, basically all I did apart from the just mentioned was really good + the night out with my friend.

I was shopping at both &other stories stores and quite like them both. I bought a few little things that were not really necessary but still useful and pretty. I went to see my good old friend Nefertiti at her new home – the Neue Museum (seriously, I could spend a day staring at that bust, so beautiful and fascinating). I got lost at a touristy bookstore and bought some books on Berlin, the Cold War and the Celts. I did a little cruise on the Spree – perfect programme for the first day of the New Year (as long as the boat is not moving too heavily)! I had some delicious Racelette cheese bread and very nice wine at the Gendarmenmarkt Christmas Market. I found Angela Merkel’s real home. I ordered a “Brussels style” waffle and I am pretty sure that what I got was actually “Liege”(see above, service…), but still very nice. My friends took me to a bunch of bars that I later found in the lonely planet. I best liked Bar Odessa (which is very cliché Berlin, but in a good way) and its Moscow Mule cocktalis. Muschi Obermaier, which is dedicated to 1968 icon Uschi Obermaier was kind of fascinating, too. And the Haus am See, which was just a bit too crowded and people a little young. For coffee we went to Bar Luzia (the 45 mins coffee place) at Kreuzberg, which, apart from the 45 mins, is kind of interesting, either. After all, I hope to come back, soon, to spend a little more time there, not in a hotel, and discover more of my friends’ Berlin. Let’s see if my point of view will change, then…

A few of my pictures…  Actually I was very disappointed with my photography skills…

 

meeep-5962b2kl

Cathedral and river Spree

(edit: while uploadng something happened to this picture, it has way more contrast on my computer - anyone happens to know what might be the reason??)

… more behind the cut…

 

IMG_6037g2kl

Spree and Friendensengel (Peace Angel)

IMG_5973kl

Neues Museum // “New Museum”

meeep582-5967bearkl

Alte Nationalgalerie //Old National Gallery

meeep582-6002kl

At Humboldt University

meeep582-5970kl

Neues Museum

2 comments:

  1. Shame you didnt like Berlin - though I agree it was a lot trendier and painfully cool the last time I went, compared to me first visit. I love the museums though - so many good ones covering an amazing range of art and history and its place in German history is so interesting. I think "tourist" Berlin can be a lot more interesting than "cool" Berlin, haha. But I did visit a few nice restaurants and cafes and I love how there are so many music venues and always an interesting act to catch. I didn't go to the Neues museum but I definitely will the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your honesty! Kinda refreshing rather than automatic gushing!

    ReplyDelete