I’m sure most of you have already read about this, it’s a concept about shopping more deliberately to build up a wardrobe you can properly “work” with – opposed to buying whatever catches your eye or is called “trendy” and later finding yourself unable to pair things. To be more precise: According to this idea a woman should invest in five quality pieces each season, besides basics which she may stock-up whenever needed. On the internet there are several lists that state which basics one must have in his/her wardrobe and what she (he) he may additionally buy. This idea was called “French” wardrobe because French women are said to buy less trendy stuff, but like to spend their money on quality, timeless pieces.
When I first read about this a couple of years ago I found the whole thing pretty stupid, to be honest. On the one hand it’s so stereotype: EVERY French woman only buys 5 quality pieces each season, has the perfect wardrobe, a brilliant classical style blalbalba….. I’m not a fan of nationality based clichés and frankly speaking have witnessed that there aren’t only perfect stereotype women in the streets in France. Moreover h&m etc could hardy survive in a country like that, in France they do.
And finally I don’t like the idea that there are a few things, like different types of shoes, a blazer, white blouse etc every woman MUST have in her wardrobe. That doesn’t go well with my approach towards what I have in my closet, which is mostly things that make feel good, may it be heels or hoody – each in its own way. And I know a lot of girls who don’t wear blazer and blouse for fun or who can’t walk at all in even slightly heeled shoes and they are still very attractive women.
But lately my opinion has slowly changed. I found myself spending far too much money on clothes in some months, sometimes even losing the overview on my expenses which I find terrifying! And my closet is seriously overcrowded. Moreover fashion is not my only costly hobby. I love travelling and photography like nothing else, want to attend concerts and visit exhibitions, read books and occasionally go out.
And after all, I think that the idea of wearing lots of black/white/grey basics occasionally topped up with a more striking key piece matches well with my own style.
Therefore I decided to create my own “basic” must-haves and lists for each season without fully forbidding myself to do spontaneous shopping. I believe that simply having in mind what you’re actually saving money for, might be a help. Will upload it soon, first I’m fighting with ployvore – it’s my first time.
<3
ReplyDeleteI think the popularity of this concept sometimes gets stretched a little too far - I absolutely agree with you about hating nationality-based cliches. More over, I've been to France several times and I'm not convinced they're collectively the most stylish people in the world, haha.
ReplyDeleteThat said, the principles of buying less, and better, is a good one to follow, regardless of what one's personal style is.
Personally, I scoffed at the idea of a white shirt or blazer being a staple until I graduated started working and realised that these things are real staples you rely on when you have to look smart every day for professional reasons, and it saves you so much time and effort when you have a few perfect pieces to depend on.
Totally agree with you! Especially also on the blouse/blazer thing. I must say I feel a little sorry for all those who see wearing them for their job as an unpleasant duty. On the other hand I see more and more of my friends starting liking this "semi-official" look after a while of working... ;)
ReplyDeleteHi Cato! Just stumbled across your blog after reading Al's post on The Red Dot. I totally agree with you and am working on "constructing" my wardrobe too. So far it's been nice actually wearing everything I own instead of having piles upon piles of things that I don't wear because they don't go with anything. Here's to a more concise, edited closet!
ReplyDelete~Joanna
Hey Joanna! Sorry for the late reply, vacation preparations have caused some chaos. I'm very glad you like my posting (and that Al linked me)! Today when I was packing I realised that I'm definitely still far from the closet I'd like to have, but on the way and doing my best!
ReplyDelete