This time it’s not about fashion or beauty, but I simply felt the need to post this picture, and after all, this blog is also about (in my case very amateurish) photography.
via, by Michael Nichols
I found it in the current issue of National Geographic which contains an article about a foundation that saves orphan elephants in Africa. It says a lot about the intelligence and emotions of these animals. So for example sometimes a baby dies even though it could have been physically saved, because it can’t get over the loss of its mother and gives up. In this picture there are activists who cover the little elephant with this self-made coat to protect him form getting pneumonia in the rain.
In my opinion the highest place a photographer can get to, isn’t photo shopping various retro effects onto an image, but to catch a moment like this, that fully captures what a whole article is written about. The German title “Mummy dead – looking for love” (Mama tot – Liebe gesucht – in the English issue it’s “Orphans no more”) was well chosen to increase the emotional message of the picture and I was close to tears and wanted to hug him! I hope this doesn’t sound inappropriately dramatic or cheesy, but I think that the story simply is a very sad one, and the subject of matter very serious (who was it who did a lot to nearly exterminate these creatures on our planet?). Straightly touching people to raise awareness isn’t the worst way, IMO.
No comments:
Post a Comment