Friday, August 5, 2011

Vienna Impressions II

Here you’ll find part I, sligthley altered after it didn’t match with my new layout anymore… Part two is also separated, because otherwise it would have been too long.

IMG_8984

Stephans Dom (St. Stephen’s Cathedral) at night after our arrival.

CIMG5224bear

Roman Emperors at the Art History Museum – I love Latin History and seeing those guys in a museum is like meetin up with old friends to me. Apart from them there are Egyptian and Greek Antique pieces there, as well as paintings starting from the late Middle Ages. I can’t say more because due to closing time and my passion for the Antique department we only rushed through some rooms with Dürer and Cranach paintings.

IMG_9127bear

View from the “Leopold” Art museum towards museums’ quarter. Great, lively place with loads of cafés. I believe people go there just to hang out, without necessarily wanting to visit one of the museums.

IMG_9130bear

Inside Leopold museum: One of Klimt’s “faculty images” (Fakultätsbilder), painted for the University of Vienna. This one is “Philosophy”. The museum has a huge selection of Schiele paintings, Art Nouveau in general and expressionism.

IMG_9142

Hofburg: Residence of the Austrian Emperors among them the famous “Sisy”. On the screen Otto von Habsburg’s funeral was broadcasted live. Can you see the flags far at the left? I believe that’s OSZE’s headquarter but might be wrong.

xxxxbear

“Buchteln” (sweet dish with plum jam inside) served at the wonderful café “Hawelka” every night around 10pm. Delicious and big recommendation!

IMG_9281bear

On our way to the famous “Heuriger” wine restaurants in Grinzing. I like the “Strassenbahn Haltestelle” (tram stop) sign.

IMG_9293bear

At the Heuriger restaurant a little outside of Vienna. Beautiful “wine garden” and live music! Don’t miss that during your stay at Vienna. You easily get there from the city by public transport.

IMG_9311bear

This elderly lady – only a guest like everyone else – spontaniously gave a concert. She probably used to be a professional singer, very strong, remarkable voice! She turned that evening from really nice and relaxing into something special, thanks a lot!

IMG_9324bear

Entrance hall of the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (“Army Museum”). In this museum you can see the car in which Franz Ferdiand was killed in Sarajevo in 1914, which lead to Word War I, and his bloody clothes. Impressive I must say.

IMG_9350bear

Helmets in the museum’s shop. May I find that strange, please?? – Blue beret, anyone??

IMG_9360bear

“Burgtheater” -theatre

IMG_9366bear

Do you think that he’s sitting on something which goes through his arm and stick under the carpet?

IMG_9374bear

Pretty, old house in "Habsburger Street”

IMG_8975bear

On our way home through the Wachau area: Marillen (apricots) on the trees.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, ich würde sofort dorthin reisen :) Liebe Grüße!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich würde auch sofort wieder dahin.... Liebe Grüße zurück! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the photos are gorgeous! nice blog <3
    anyway check mine sweety ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hast du den schwebenden Mann auf der Kärntnerstraße gesehen? Den kenn ich noch gar nicht :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dana: thank you so much! just checked yours, like it a lot and you're so sweet! :)

    @wiemi: hehe, nein, der schwebte über dem Graben. bist du aus Wien? wenn ja - *neid* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ja bin aus Wien und werde am Gtraben mal die Augen offen halten

    ReplyDelete