I wrote this posting some months (!) ago but never published it, gosh!! You may expect some more old stuff in the next few weeks. Study time and applications really got me out of order, sorry…..
Finally I found a rucksack for my camera that pretty much offers what I was looking for and that wasn’t too expensive!! Since I got a new Camera last Christmas I had to buy a new bag, my old ones didn’t fit anymore. Moreover my equipement has become bigger and bigger and most important: my back issues got so bad during my last travels, when I carried a small camera bag and a huge, heavy hand bag with me, all the time. So it had to be a rucksack.
Important criteria:
# Enough space for the “status quo” * (=all camera stuff I own right now – well – minus the tripod)
# A seperate, not too small pocket for all the other stuff one needs on a city trip, *
# overall not too big – back pain!
# unsuspicous look: not screaming “I’ve got an expensive camera in my belly” *
# the camera pocket not too easily accessable (I know for many photographers the opposite is important)
# small, hidden pockets, preferably at the back. *
# rain protection *
# laptop pocket
# pocket for a bottle of water *
# not too “unchique”
# budget
* is important, italic is fulfilled
Obviously some criteria contradict each other, so I didn’t expect one bag to meet them all.
I got the Tamrac Express Pack 8 in black. I bought it at Karstadt where it was reduced from about 90 € to about 65 €. On amazon.de it’s currently available for 79€ instead of 109 €. Oh, and the sales assistant was terribly rude, stuck-up and not helpful at all, btw, the prize still convinced me. So how does this rucksack meet my criteria?
Space for camera stuff: My equipment fits in, luckily also the Canon EOS 60 D camera with its 18-135 mm kit lens. But it shouldn’t be any bigger. I can also fit my sigma 70-300 tele lens and the tiny canon 50mm f 1.8 lens. For another big lens there’s no room, but at the moment there’s also no money (and urgent need) for another lens. Moreover you can adjust the “walls” inside. In the little side pockets there’s more than enough room for my other things like the close-up lens, filters, sheets, the remote switch.
Space for other/city trip stuff: we’ll see how this works, but there is a seperate pocket for those things which was important for me. It should be enough for a small wallet, phone, sun glasses, hygiene stuff, a scarf/pullover and a guide/book. Moreover I can use the side pockets/main camera pocket for that, too, especially since I don’t really need the tele lense on a city trip. I just don’t really know what to do with the obligatory bottle of water. It fits into the pocket but I’d prefer having it in a side pocket. Maybe I can adjust one??
Overall not too big: definitely not, but hopefully it’s not too small!!
Low-key look: Yeah, that was really important! It doesn’t look like a camera bag at first glance, does it? This was my main concern with all those otherwise super professional lowepro bags.
Camera not easily accessable: I need to put the rucksack down, open that clasp of the cover and then open the zipper to get to the camera. Oviously a lot of people like to be able to get the camera out of the bag without having to put it down. I like this (IMO) safer construction.
Small, hidden pockets: There are none in the back, but one in the little front pocket and one in the big pocket for “other” stuff. That should be fine and safe enough for some money, passport and an emergency bank card.
Rain protection: There is none, but I’m going to get one for it, ought to be possible. There is no laptop pocket either.
Not too unchique: I like the design and in terms of chique I think that it’s not particularily bad, since it doesn’t look too functional or hiking-alike. I didn’t expect more.
more pictures after the cut
No comments:
Post a Comment