Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What July and August bring

IMG_0552bear21sm

Starnberger See, a favourite destination whenever my parents and I have “family-friends” over.

# Examination time has ended well!! :) I’m cleaning up my flat now, piles of study stuff are everywhere and I just don’t want to deal with it at the moment. I’m also reorganising things, maybe also going to clear out my wardrobe, we’ll see….

# Insomnia and why I haven’t been online lately. I couldn’t fall asleep before ~ 3 am lately, a problem I didn’t face during the weeks of heavy studying and not even right before my exams…  There was and still is so much in my head, and a decision had to be taken. First I was rejected at the favoured option, was so sad, but forced myself to consider the advantages of the other one (there are quite some). Then there was the chance to do what I wanted to do so badly, but it wasn’t definite for some weeks and I was just so confused all the time. In the end I was admitted to the programme and decided to go for it. And now I am going to spend a year in the UK to pursue a postgraduate degree. I’m excitedly looking forward to the new city, new studies, different way of life, possibilities to travel, seeing my friends in the UK more often…. And I can sleep again. Not yet like I used to, but I’m not awake for hours anymore.  I had tried my “fall asleep” yoga , which didn’t help at all, the white noise app on my phone which provides one with nice beach-waves, rain, train, whatsoeversounds and even went to the bookstore to buy a novel that seems suitable to calm me down. I looked through that kind of simple women’s literature which I normally don’t read, and even had the 50 shades of Grey in my hands. But it felt just too boring/not my thing/stupid. I got Raymond Carver’s What we talk about when we talk about Love in the end. No, I didn’t expect some calm love stories, but I hoped I could easier stop after one chapter since it’s just short stories, and at the same time would get tired since it requires some concentration. It did help, but Carver isn’t quite the sort of reading stuff that provides you with a tender sleep.

# Music: Do you like Florence and the Machine’s Spectrum as I do? German television sometimes use it during the Olympic Games broadcast, it’s my highlight of the whole programme.

# shopping planning has changed. Now I’m saving money for living abroad and mainly think about what I need to restock for my the cold and rainy weather there (this sounds as if I was living in a truly hot country at the moment *joke*….).

# Paris Fashion Week: I’m still kind of indecisive whether I should go to Paris Fashion Week again. Streetstyle blogs, F/W campaigns coming up and Model/Fashion People’s Twitter and Instagram accounts really make me want to. Thanks to Easyjet and my friends there, a short trip from the UK might even be affordable. Getting settled in the new town and saving even this bit of money is probably wiser.

# not as relevant for me as I thought a few days ago, but apart from Mango also Zara seems to be going to open a new flagship store in Munich this fall (according to a note on their facebook page). And this morning I read on Fashionseine’s wonderful blog, that even Cruciani are going to come to Munich. I was going to order some for myself and a few friends as a farewell gift, but the very high shipping costs compared to the bracelets’ prizes, have scared me off. What to do now, since the store probably won’t open in time, but I still think that’s the perfect present??

1 comment:

  1. What's that postgraduate degree and where are you going to do it, hope you don't mind me asking such a personal question? Since we are doing the same course (I wish I'd be finished as well, sigh!) and have the same career goals, I am really interested in what you are going to do.
    Congrats, btw!!

    Gem

    ReplyDelete