Two weeks ago, the weather once again was very nice, and so one of my friends and I decided to spend Saturday afternoon in Leith, yet another part of Edinburgh that deserves more attention. Leith is actually quite big and stretches from very close to Edinburgh’s city centre to the sea. Formerly known to be a somewhat dodgy and poor milieu, as Irvine Welsh describes it in Trainspotting, the cult novel about the hopeless, desperate life of drug addicts in Leith, parts of the place have become the new “in” areas of Edinburgh, and in fact, besides art galleries, some of the city’s best restaurants can be found here. Close to Edinburgh’s centre, Leith starts with Leith Walk, the arterial road which crosses the whole quarter. Hera are lots of lovely, charming cafes and pubs located, only the steet doesn’t look very pretty. At the other end of Leith Walk you’re already close to the sea.
We decided to take a bus to the Ocean Terminal, which (as the name suggests) marks the very end of Leith, at the sea. Ocean Terminal is a huge Shopping Centre, and from within the building one can access the formerly Royal Yacht Britannia, which has been there as a museum, since it retired from serving the Royal Family. We wanted to have a quick look at the ship, and therefore what had started as a “lets do something outside to enjoy the weather” trip, lead us into the midst of a shopping centre, at first. Well done.
From the shopping centre we walked back to the “Shore”, yet another part of the city that is so nice because it’s located by the river. Actually you could walk down the riverside, all the way from Dean Village (post) to the Shore and just a bit further to the sea. At the Shore you’ll find the Michelin restaurants, a restaurant on a ship, and some nice and way cheaper cafes. I’m sure the place is even prettier, when the weather allows you to sit outside, right by the river. We chose Mimi’s bakehouse and spontaneously decided to have High Tea. High or Afternoon Tea is a British tradition where you get some tea, served with piles of sandwiches, scones and cakes. It was my first time, so I can’t compare it to others, but it was just soooo delicious! And a lot of food, too! We weren’t able to finish our 6 (?) mini sandwiches, 2 scones and 4 sweets, each, but were encouraged to take home, what was left. I really highly recommend this place, if you’re around Edinburgh! And I need to take my parents to there when they’re in town next time! High tea there is a little less than 14 pounds per person, which is what you’d pay in equally nice places, maybe even a bit cheaper.
My tourist guide recommends going for a walk from Leith to Portobello beach, down the coastline. I don’t really know if I support this idea. The coast around Leith is not particularly beautiful, it’s more like a industrial harbour area. I’d go to seaside Leith for the Ocean Terminal, the Shore or maybe for one of the cafes and restaurants that overlook the harbour area. If you want to enjoy a walk by the sea, better go straight to Portobello, or one of the other beaches around Edinburgh. Moreover half of the way from Leith to Portobellos follows some kind of big motorway – not my preferred walkabout area!
Next time when I’m in Leith, I would like to explore the art galleries. But since I have a gallery right here in my street, and haven’t been there, yet (major shame!) I’d better start there…
ps. In case you’re interested: my outfit was exactly this last one but with my black Topshop jeans instead of the skirt/leggings. “Bag” was my camera rucksack.
No comments:
Post a Comment