Monday, April 23, 2012

Back to sketching–but how?

When I was younger I used to draw so much, it was like my No. 1 leisure activity besides reading. I don’t claim to be super-talented, I just liked it so much. But somehow and even though I love it, it takes a lot of energy. I totally focus on the subject, I erase lines that aren’t exactly the way I want them to be (though I know that someone who draws well doesn’t need to erase…), I get angry when it doesn’t turn out well. So I somehow stopped during the beginning of my studies or even earlier.

Now I started again. I can’t find my old “how to sketch a face etc” books unfortunately, I think they would give me a lot of help and make the restart easier. I might get a new one… But I already like it so much again!

Here are a few of my “works” LOL. They seem so different not like made by the same person. I either need to find back to my style or I’m a hopeless case…

catskombism

Lana del Ray/Eva Green

Snejana Onopka/Scarlett Johansson

# Lana del Ray’s picture in German Interview Magazine (pic). Actually the last one I made and I like it best among those.

# Eva Green in Casino Royale (pic). I didn’t have the energy for the eyes which ruins the whole picture. But since I want to start using colours on my sketches I decided to colour her. Didn’t finish though, I wouldn’t have gone well… Now it’s a weird mix…

# Snejana Onopka in a backstage pic – what’s wrong with her left (right from our perspecitve) eye?? Looks painful…

# ehum Scarlett Johansson in I don’t remember which magazine (and no pic, sorry!). Her lips went totally wrong, my Mom bursts out laughing whenever she sees it. But at least we have some sort of eyes this time!

… in my sketches their features became a lot harsher than in reality…

edit: any sort of feedback is highly appreciated! (ok, preferably a constructive (but honest!) one ;)  )

2 comments:

  1. wow, really looks great, I used to sketch and draw a lot, too, but I don't seem to have the time and inspiration anymore. You should try and carry a little sketchbook and pencil around with you in your bag, you never know, when the opportunity comes up to draw a little something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I finally see your drawings!! Sehr schoen :D
    My favourite is the bottom left with the painful eye :D I don't know, there is something special with her face... Go on drawing and don't worry of how good you are or if you have a style or not: it'll come with time. I also give you a trick, that I learn from a dear friend (a comic book and game illustrator): always put your sketch in front of the mirror and you'll see all the possible proportions and symmetry mistakes (it's more or less like reading a document from top to bottom and left to right when proofreading :p)Most of the times I forget to do it, or remember it when the ink is already there so I can't fix anything anymore (and you really notice it from my drawings if you have a bit of a trained eye :p), but when I remember to do it I do see the difference!

    Kisses, keep drawing!!

    Al

    ReplyDelete