Thursday, November 10, 2011

10 Things

Lin from out of the bag wrote about the contentment she got from NOT buying certain items, quite a while ago here, and posted 10 things she liked doing instead. Somehow I thought of this posting two weeks ago and decided to take up the idea and post 10 things that made me happy but that aren’t related to shopping. I don’t know, spotting nice stuff on the internet, setting up shopping- and wardrobe construction lists in my mind and on paper, and then trying to get these things can turn into such a stress. And frankly speaking: shopping or thinking about clothes and fashion usually isn’t the biggest factor for satisfaction for me, and surely not the most sustainable one (can this word be used outside of an environmental politics context?? – I should use “lasting”). Sure, I like to dress nicely, I like to see what’s going on in the fashion world, but somehow that shopping story seems to be a never ending one, and the more I’m dealing with it in my life, the more it seems to displace all the other nice things. Moreover, due to this overconsumption, I’m afraid I will become blind for those things, also fashion-related, that I could really take some inspiration from. So here – also for some self-reflection: Ten things I enjoyed and that are not related to shopping, style, fashion etc etc.

I don’t want to start an “official” tagging story, but any blogger who reads this and likes the idea shall feel free to write a similar posting and post his/her link here, so that I can read it! ;)

IMG_2725bear

View from my window this morning – looks as if I lived in the middle of a forest – I don’t ;)

Before I got ill I started going to my yoga classes again – for the first time after some months, it felt soo good! Why didn’t I go earlier??!

Fall weather: I love this sunny, very cold, clear weather we had some days ago. Especially the light during before nightfall. But also today’s dense fog. The houses and trees at the other side of the meadow in front of my window have become vague silhouettes.

Sounds selfish but I really enjoy looking through my photos, editing and uploading them, showing them to friends etc etc. I’ve started a Vogue Italia portfolio and already have 1 picture accepted (out of 4) and I’m going to create photo books and calendars, maybe for Christmas pressies…

My trip to Cologne and a wonderful time at the wedding.

I finished Edward Forster’s Howard’s End, haven’t loved a novel that much for a long time!

Going outside for a walkabout. There’s nothing more refreshing than strolling around in the countryside, all wrapped into warm clothes and having a hot tea afterwards.

Loads (too much? – hello skin!) of sweet stuff. My parents had friends from Switzerland over who brought Champaign truffle choc for me, then we got those chocolate-candy souvenirs at the wedding. And finally a lot of Dallmayr candies (Baumkuchen yummy) made their way into our house last week…. Not to forget my Mom’s delicious cakes.

Grabbing my Iceland winter buys out of my closet and wearing them again. Lovely memories….

Allowing myself to listen to music whilst studying in the evening – currently Beethoven’s 7th.

Eating loads of French cheese, especially Camembert and French bread for a bit of French feeling in Bavaria.

 

… umm, somehow life isn’t that bad ;)

3 comments:

  1. I can completely identify with the way your list has a strong food presence, that's the way I feel most of the time, haha. Thanks for sharing the list, I think it's brilliant to tag people to do it and can't wait to see what people come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You post has inspired me to make a list of 10 things as well. When I get to writing up a list, I'll have to link you and let you know about it.

    I can really relate to a few of your things such as fall weather, re-wearing my winter wardrobe, yoga, and cheese & bread combo (although I wish I could have experienced that in Bavaria like you did!)

    Truly inspiring blog so I had to follow!

    http://welivedourlivesinstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lin: hehe, you totally got me!I have to say I don't even eat THAT much sweet stuff all year round, but somehow the dark season made me eat a lot of it this year! Thank you very much for the idea!! :)

    @connie: Thank you so much, that makes me really happy :)! In which part of the world are you? I'm looking forward to your list of 10 things!! :)

    ReplyDelete