Saturday, November 12, 2011

Some minutes in Cologne

I had nearly zero time for the city, in between getting ready for the wedding, the wedding itself (which was wonderful!) and looking for something to eat/eating the other days. Ehuummm…. I must admit that I’ve always had a hard time at warming up to Cologne… Most of it’s buildings were destroyed during World War II and what was built in their place is simply not touching me. There’s a certain dodginess, as well…. It might require a friend who’s a local, to show you the right places and to make you familiar with the city and its spirits, though. Considering the bit which is left of the Medieval Old Town tells me that it must have been a truly beautiful old city, and that makes me sad.

People say that there’s a very vivid, multicultural scene, I haven’t had the opportunity to experience that yet, I’m sorry. But I like the museums! This time I only had time for a very short visit to one (Museum Ludwig) but enjoyed it a lot and I could have spent the whole weekend in museums, if I had had the time, I think. The weather was splendid, too! Sunny and a lot warmer than Munich!

And I will never get over the fact that they built the main train station right immediately next to the famous and impressive Cathedral…

IMG_2447bear2

In the Old Town

IMG_2465beart

rebuilt, I think, but well done.

IMG_2469bear2IMG_2478beratr

The store actually belongs to an old friend of my mother

IMG_2496bear

gallery window

tumblr_ltxb7hoY391qk75dio1_1280bear

Picasso photo portrait exhibit at Museum Ludwig. The exhibition I was going for was not available (strange story), but I loved this one instead!

IMG_2504bear2

Roman-Germanic Museum right next to the Cathedral. I was there once many years ago, it’s a must for anyone interested in Ancient History!

IMG_2505bear

Teddy Norbert and a terrible picture composition. We were in a hurry and almost late at the wedding, I’m sorry!

IMG_2506bear

singer at the Rhein, I liked his music

IMG_2509bear

very Cologne… *gg*

IMG_2532bear

tiny glimpse at the wedding

IMG_2545bear

Cathedral from Ludwig Museum’s rooftop terrace

IMG_2554bear

Ludwig Museum restaurant– delicious food, nice atmosphere and live music! I will def come back next time!

IMG_2556bearIMG_2566bear

Indian Summer at the motorway

4 comments:

  1. Super cool pictures.

    Please visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shopping in Cologne but I have to agree on the fact that I really don't feel the city (and I recognize part of the grey ugliness of some less maintained streets and building in the near Brussels... Belgian influence?) even though I love to be there simply because I love Germany and just the sound of German spoken all around me is enough to make me feel happy XD but if I had to choose I'd rather spend an afternoon in the nearby Bonn (which has very good shops too ;D)
    I don't remember if I asked you where are you from in Germany already? Is it Munich or you just used to live there? I love that city...

    Great photos dear :-)

    Many kisses

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! Yes, I'm living in Munich and was born and bread here, too :). Hmm, I sometimes have my troubles with this city after having lived abroad (in Belgium actually), but have to admit it's a nice place and well located. I still hope I will be able to live in a more international place again, like Brussel, Paris... or Italy, I just LOVE Italy. One of the good things about Munich: Italy is so close.

    But with your academic background Munich probably is an option for you, isn't it? I think we have some leading institutions here. And I'm not used to hearing that people like my language, thank you!! ;) (Once a guy told me he liked German because you could so nicely shout in this language - frankly speaking I found that borderline-offensive)

    The dodgyness of Belgium was an ongoing subject among us exchange students and later inters I have to admit ;). But in old places dodginess has a different feeling for me. But yes, Brussels has some really grey and ugly corners, too. and the weather....

    Unfortunately I didn't have much time for shopping in Cologne. I wanted to look for weekday which we don't have here in Munich, and I read online that there was a quarter with interesting and less common shops - the "Belgian" quarter actually. But in the end there really was no time. Driving up to Cologne took us a lot more time than planned and so my Dad wanted to leave early on Sunday afternoon...

    I'm looking forward to reading more about Amerstdam!! :)

    Kisses back,
    Cato

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sh: oops, I nearly missed your comment! Thanks a lot and I'm defenitely going to check out your blog!

    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete