Monday, January 23, 2012

Excursus: RIP little Lola

This is not fashion, music, beauty or anything related, but I feel the need to tell you how sad I am because of Baby Elephant Lola’s death here in Munich last Saturday. :( After her cardiac anomaly had been diagnosed last week, a team of veterinarian and human medicine doctors was going to try a surgery to save her life at a hospital for humans– the first cardiac surgery on an elephant ever. Leader of the medical team: a doctor for children’s cardiology. But the 12 week old one already died during the preparations for the intervention, apparently her disease was much worse than expected. Later the body was brought back to the elephant family for giving them the chance of mourning, which is very important for those highly social and emotional animals.

Lola is already the second baby of her mother that died at a very young age, moreover her mom has had two dead births already, which makes (not only) me wonder whether keeping elephants at the Zoo is such a good idea…

English link the locals

Sorry for Off-Topic, though!

(And already the second one on elephants, I seem to like them)

lolatopTeaser_crop_LolalolatopTeaser_crop_Elefantendrama-im-M-nchner-Zoo-Lola-hat-Herzfehlerlolaimaglolaelola4,h=343_bild

Isn’t this incredible?

of course I don’t own any coprights for those…. found them on augsburger allgemeine and  bild.de, that give as sources:

Peter Kneffel, dpa

Klinikum der Universität München

Tierpark Hellabrunn

No comments:

Post a Comment