I came home this morning, after a very short night and I’m sooo tired now…. But I had a really great – only way too short – time in Norway. What a beautiful country, I think I’ve never seen sooo much water! Only the weather was a little disappointing, we had a lot of water from above, too. (So I got really p**ed when someone stole my umbrella while I was at a store during the heavy rain *grmpf*). Therefore most of my Oslo pictures didn’t turn out very well; the sunny ones were all taken yesterday afternoon within a very short period. Here are a few of them, just very few, I’m still editing them. Apart from Oslo I had a great day travelling through the countryside – mountains and fjords – to Bergen, and also spent some time there. The little town is so beautiful! But pictures from there and more will probably come tomorrow.
One of my highlights in Oslo was the National Gallery where you can see Edvard Munch’s “Scream” – such a powerful painting! Also Groenland was very nice – the International quarter of Oslo where you find a lot of especially Asian restaurants, shops etc. We had lunch there at an Indian restaurant. Seemed very authentically Indian to me (who’s never been to India though….) and was a little cheaper than the rest of the city. And Gosh, this country is expensive! But back to Groenland: I miss having a diverse quarter like that in my city.
Apart from the main sightseeing attractions like palace, Nobel Peace Prize Centre I loved strolling around in the harbour area. I’m living so far away from the sea, ports and ships are always exciting to me. At first we wanted to take a ship to one of the little islands in the Oslo fjord or to the Bygdoy peninsula, but in the end we didn’t have enough time and it was raining anyway. Maybe next time…
Oslo Opera – amazing architecture, it looks like made of ice. Inside a lot of wood was used – reflects very much how I understood the Norwegian mentalitly-modern and progressive but very aware of and adapted to nature.
Norwegian Parliament
Aker Brygge Harbour
Karl Johans Gate and Royal Palace in the background – I tried (emphasis!) to do a bit of street photography, also the next two
Ice Bar – everything’s made of ice: walls, bar, even the “glasses” and the temperature is -5°C. Guests get warm ponchos when entering and may stay for 45 minutes. Don’t know, not a “Must”, but something different for a change….
Remembering the victims….
No comments:
Post a Comment