Sunday, September 18, 2011

Paris Update

I cant believe that my first week here is already over....... Time is truely flying!! And what have I done so far? I've spent quite a lot of time in my classes or with doing homework, but always went for a little walk through a favourite quarter of Paris, after school. On day it was Montmartre, an other day the area around the Opera and the Grands Boulevards, but I notice that I always love coming back to the St. Germain/Quartier Latin area. So many memories of earlier stays at Paris are coming to my mind. Teenie shopping on Boulevard St. Michel, breakfast with my Canadian friend at Les deux Magots, how I was a little too tipsy one time after dinner with my best guy-friend (are we still this close friends??).....

And I had lots of Crepes, baguettes, Pains au Chocolat, cheese etc of of course!!  Last night I went out with some girls from language school, and we had drinks at a place called "footsie" where drinks' prizes go up and down, in accordance with their demand, as it goes at the stock exchange. Really cool place, you can also dance there, just a little loud, if you're trying to socialise with new people in a foreign and, so far, less used language. This evening after dinner with a girl from my class I tried to take some pix in the Metro system. But sooo wished, I had my tripod with me, for  a  few pix I positioned the camera on garbage  cans (and used some desinfection later...) but the position was never really good. 

And I can't  believe how many  little things I forgot at home.  Among them  there's unfortunately also my card reader, therefore I can't upload pictures, yet, I'm sorry. And hint: If you don't have a blush brush, don't try to apply powder blush with your fingers ;). Other stuff is hair accessoires, a second scarf etc.

Among the things that come to my mind now is also, how much more I seem to communicate with the peole around me, than I do at home. Even in an overcrowded RER train people smile at each other, or even talk. Today a group of beautifully dressed women of African origin entered the train and someone asked, where they were from. And once the girl sitting opposed to me and I started laughing when the dog of other passengers was all the time on our feet. I know this sounds so random, but at home I sometimes feel I (and everyone else) where living in our own bubbles, while we're in the anonymity of public transport.


And yesterday I also got quite a  compliment. :) In St Germain a french guy asked me for directions (not to something touristy), so I guess he thought I was a local. Damn I felt proud....

Ah, and to come back to the locals: You know I'm not a supporter of generally idealizing the French style or whatever, but from time to time there really are girls, who look so effortlessly chic and beautiful.....


No comments:

Post a Comment