You might remember my postings about that photoshooting with Lily Donaldson earlier this year, which was livestreamed online. It was for Dasha Zukhova’s new magazine named “Garage” that has now finally been launched this month. I was really looking forward to this – not only because I witnessed the process of making of Lily’s editorial, but also because the whole magazine and also that editorial in particular have caught my deep interest.
It’s Dasha’s second try as a magazine editor after her apparently not so successful work for Pop Magazine till last year. The new magazine was named after her art exhibition space in Moscow and covers “fashion meets art”- related subjects. I’m quite excited to see, what the outcome will be like. Frankly speaking I’m a bit biased when it comes to super rich heirs or wives (Dasha’s partner is Roman Abramovich) getting involved in the art business. I usually doubt that those people really have the knowledge and endurance to do thier job well, which requires a lot of commitment. On the other hand of course it’s always been the rich people with a certain amount of free time, who were able to sponsor artists throughout the ages. But to come back to Dasha: with this new magazine she’s got a chance to prove that she is really able to participate in the art business by deciding who to give a stage to, and to do creative work, herself.
The subject of fashion and art seems interesting, I love both fields, yet it seems to me that the liaison of them can turn out to be quite vain…
The first issue comes with three different covers. One features Lily’s editorial, which is a cooperation of artist Dinos Chapman and photographer Nick Knight and transformed her into a marionette. I liked to think about all those ideas, that came to my mind when I watched the shooting. Dinos Chapman’s work IMO is quite worth to take a look at. He’s known for creating provocative and very disturbing scenes of doll-like humans. In the shooting especially the rat-headed naked woman in the background reminded me of so many things, from Egyptian mythology, to Hieronymus Bosch and a Faust II performance I saw at the theatre a couple of years ago. I hope there will be some explanation. Only in my less artistic opinion Lily didn’t have to be THAT much distorted, she looked incredibly marionette-like, anyways.
The other two covers were created by Richard Prince and a cooperation of photographer Hedi Slimane and even Damien Hirst. Their cover shows a black-and-green butterfly which was in fact tattooed into model Shauna Taylor’s womb and on the magazine is covered by a removable sticker. Every cover comes with John Baldessari’s quote “I will not wear any more boring tattoos”.
In the new Garage team there are also Meike Meiré, art director at 032c and former editor-in-Chief of Vogue Paris Joan Juliet Buck. The magazine was launched on the occasion of New York Fashion Week, and will be on sale worldwide, I just have no idea in which circulation. Let’s see if I will be able to get my hands on it – I will definitely try to!
No comments:
Post a Comment