via – you can get it this necklace there!
I read that posting about Hal Vaughan’s latest book on another blog and it made stop doing what I was just about to do and write this post. Vaughan’s book describes how Coco Chanel was involved with the Nazis during the occupation of Paris and big parts of France and that she probably acted as a whistleblower for the Germans. The blog posting is a little misfortunate in my opinion – but I don’t want to accuse the blogger of whatsoever, since I guess that she doesn’t have my background of nearly a decade at German (Bavarian ;) ) grammar school, where we covered those subjects again and again and again at history class, which either makes you totally dull or raises a certain awareness…
But anyways, I think about those things many times and there are those questions I’m always asking myself: Given those allegations are true – is it ok that I adore the brand that bears Coco Chanels name, so much? I’ve got quite some cosmetic pieces that carry the CC symbol and I have to admit that I like them also a bit for that symbol.
Same for Dior and I’m not thinking of the Galliano story. Christian Dior also was close to the occupants and moreover some of his family members are said to have been openly Neo-Nazis during the sixties.
Hugo Boss made the Nazi uniform.
Or to move away from fashion: May I even love Richard Wagner’s music who wasn’t only Hitler’s favourite composer but is said to having had similar ideas to those of his admirer?
May I like Leni Riefenstahls propaganda movies for the groundbreaking progress they meant for the cinematic art?
Isn’t it in the end like those stupid “during Hitler’s regime trains were on time” - comments that to me are clearly born out of a certain ideology.
I myself am fine with me thinking about those things. It’s pretty much my temper, but sometimes I wish more people were like me. (At other times I clearly wish I wouldn’t worry so much…). Regarding fashion: I think that one has to consider that totally different people are behind those brands today, in the creative – as well as the administrative – department. Isn’t all that criticism of a similar kind as condemning today’s catholic church of crusades and inquisition centuries ago, which is so ridiculous to me?
And still, the fashion houses’ founders didn’t only give their names to the brands; they also act as symbols until today. And in the end it’s us who decorate ourselves with those symbols and emblems. So after all I can’t give an answer that satisfies even me. I’m definitely not going to throw away my Chanel cosmetics and start hating the brand from now on, I will still follow it and adore Karl (and Peter). But might not always feel comfortable with this solution….
The story for me is a little different when it comes to Boss and Riefenstahl. I wouldn’t feel well in clothes that bear the same name as the Nazi uniform, but on the one hand it’s no loss for me, I’ve never had anything made by Boss (I think). On the other hand, Hugo Boss has come to terms with the past – unlike others! And of course I’m not critizising anyone for wearing it, this is a matter you have to sort out with yourself, and you’re only accountable for to yourself! Furthermore I don’t want to talk about the cinematic aspects of Riefenstahls films, full stop. Ahh, and I simply don’t like Wagner that much. It’s ok, but I don’t really care… If I liked it, I could handle that ;) .
I’m sorry Coco now became the epitome of an evil Nazi collaborator in my posting. She merely gave the idea for it and as I said, it’s not even proven that those alegations are actually true. Moreover I feel I should add two little aspects, which make no difference to me but somehow should be mentioned: The designers probably didn’t work for occupants for ideological reasons, but for economical ones – the rich people who could buy their clothes at those times were the occupants and their supporters. And Coco apparently was in love with a German spy and lost her clear view….. Not really convincing, is it?
Finally you may think that this posting was totally pointless because now at the end I’m not even a tiny step further than I was at the beginning. Maybe I just wish, every consumer of those brands would pay a little thought to the issue. Simply not to caring seems wrong to me….
No comments:
Post a Comment